Since its founding in 1922, Dr. Schar has been making products to support a healthy diet. Initially, the focus of the company was to cater to the nutritional needs of young children. The company soon developed the first range of gluten-free products specifically designed for young children with gastrointestinal symptoms.
In 1981, the first comprehensive gluten-free product line was launched in close collaboration with doctors and celiac support groups.
Under the leadership of Ulrich Ladurner, a Merano-based businessman, the company succeeded in becoming Italy's gluten-free market leader in only a few years. This was achieved through an ongoing investment strategy towards new technologies, product innovations and quality improvements. A decisive step was taken with a major quality campaign in 1998. Today, gluten-free products from Dr. Schar rival their gluten-containing counterparts in taste and convenience.
Dr. Schar has experienced significant growth thanks to its success in the gluten-free foods market, and has become a global company:
- 1996 Production and operational facilities are set up at the headquarters in Burgstall (Italy).
- 2002 Acquisition of Nutrition Point. The subsidiary Dr. Schar UK is founded. The DS-gluten free (Dietary Specials) brand becomes the market leader in the U.K. food retail industry.
- 2003 Schar's research laboratory moves into the renowned research complex at the AREA Science Park in Trieste (Italy).
- 2006 Acquisition of the Glutano brand. New production facilities are being set up in Apolda and Dreihausen (Germany). The subsidiary Dr. Schar Deutschland is formed.
- 2007 Dr. Schar acquires the Glutafin and Trufree brands. In the U.S.A., the subsidiary Dr. Schar USA, Inc. is born.
- 2011 New production facilities open in Zaragoza (Spain), and the construction of Dr. Schar's first manufacturing facility in the U.S.A. begins.
- 2011 New production facilitie opens in Zaragoza (Spain).
- 2012 In 2012 Dr. Schar USA Inc. opened a production facility in Swedesboro.
With the acquisition of the comidaMed nutrition institute, Dr. Schär also entered the market for amino acid mixtures for patients with inherited metabolic disorders. With the new MEVALIA Low Protein brand, the company then also launched bread, pasta, flour, salt and sweet snacks with low protein content on the market. In 2012 Dr. Schär also began operations at a new production facility in Laives, South Tyrol.
- 2013 marked the establishment of Dr. Schär Medical Nutrition with the Ceres-MCT, MEVALIA Low Protein andcomidaMed brands. Dr. Schär also assumed control of Gourmet Italia, a company from Trento specialising in Italian frozen ready meals.
- 2014 marked the opening of the Dr. Schär France distribution centre and the establishment of Dr. Schar Brasil
- 2015 Foundation Dr. Schär Austria