Since its founding in 1922, Dr. Schar has been making products to support a healthy diet. Initially, the focus of the company was to cater to the nutritional needs of young children. The company soon developed the first range of gluten-free products specifically designed for young children with gastrointestinal symptoms.
In 1981, the first comprehensive gluten-free product line was launched in close collaboration with doctors and celiac support groups.
Under the leadership of Ulrich Ladurner, a Merano-based businessman, the company succeeded in becoming Italy's gluten-free market leader in only a few years. This was achieved through an ongoing investment strategy towards new technologies, product innovations and quality improvements. A decisive step was taken with a major quality campaign in 1998. Today, gluten-free products from Dr. Schar rival their gluten-containing counterparts in taste and convenience.
Dr. Schar has experienced significant growth thanks to its success in the gluten-free foods market, and has become a global company:
- 1996 Production and operational facilities are set up at the headquarters in Burgstall (Italy).
- 2002 Acquisition of Nutrition Point. The subsidiary Dr. Schar UK is founded. The DS-gluten free (Dietary Specials) brand becomes the market leader in the U.K. food retail industry.
- 2003 Schar's research laboratory moves into the renowned research complex at the AREA Science Park in Trieste (Italy).
- 2006 Acquisition of the Glutano brand. New production facilities are being set up in Apolda and Dreihausen (Germany). The subsidiary Dr. Schar Deutschland is formed.
- 2007 Dr. Schar acquires the Glutafin and Trufree brands. In the U.S.A., the subsidiary Dr. Schar USA, Inc. is born.
- 2011 New production facilities open in Zaragoza (Spain), and the construction of Dr. Schar's first manufacturing facility in the U.S.A. begins.