Since 1922 the company has been concentrating on making products to support a healthy diet. To start with the focus was on the nutritional needs of young children. In a very short time, the company developed the first range of gluten-free diet products specifically for young children with gastrointestinal complaints.
In 1981 the first comprehensive gluten-free product line was launched onto the market in close collaboration with doctors and coeliac societies.
Under the leadership of Merano-based businessman, Ulrich Ladurner, the company succeeded in becoming market leader in Italy in only a few years. This was achieved through an ongoing investment strategy for new technologies, product innovations and quality improvements. A decisive step was taken with a major quality campaign in 1998.
In terms of enjoyment, gluten-free foods can now hold their own when compared to conventional food products.
Thanks to its success in the gluten-free foods market, Dr. Schär has been able to expand as a company group. Step by step the company is getting closer to its goal.
- 1996 Production and operational facilities are set up at the headquarters in Burgstall (Italy).
- 2002 Takeover of Nutrition Point. The subsidiary Dr. Schär UK is founded. The DS-gluten free (Dietary Specials) brand becomes the market leader in the UK food retail industry.
- 2003 Schär's own research laboratory moves into the renowned research complex at the AREA Science Park in Trieste (Italy).
- 2006 Takeover of the Glutano brand. New production facilities set up in Apolda and Dreihausen (Germany). The subsidiary Dr. Schär Deutschland is formed.
- 2007 Dr. Schär takes over the Glutafin and Trufree brands. In the USA the subsidiary Dr. Schär USA, Inc. is born.
- 2011 New production facilities open in Zaragoza (Spain) and construction continues on production facilities in New Jersey (USA).