Since 1922 the company has been concentrating on making products to support a healthy diet. To start with the focus was on the nutritional needs of young children. In a very short time, the company developed the first range of gluten-free diet products specifically for young children with gastrointestinal complaints.
In 1981 the first comprehensive gluten-free product line was launched onto the market in close collaboration with doctors and coeliac societies.
Under the leadership of Merano-based businessman, Ulrich Ladurner, the company succeeded in becoming market leader in Italy in only a few years. This was achieved through an ongoing investment strategy for new technologies, product innovations and quality improvements. A decisive step was taken with a major quality campaign in 1998.
In terms of enjoyment, gluten-free foods can now hold their own when compared to conventional food products.
Thanks to its success in the gluten-free foods market, Dr. Schär has been able to expand as a company group. Step by step the company is getting closer to its goal.
- 1996 Production and operational facilities are set up at the headquarters in Burgstall (Italy).
- 2002 Takeover of Nutrition Point. The subsidiary Dr. Schär UK is founded. The DS-gluten free (Dietary Specials) brand becomes the market leader in the UK food retail industry.
- 2003 Schär's own research laboratory moves into the renowned research complex at the AREA Science Park in Trieste (Italy).
- 2006 Takeover of the Glutano brand. New production facilities set up in Apolda and Dreihausen (Germany). The subsidiary Dr. Schär Deutschland is formed.
- 2007 Dr. Schär takes over the Glutafin and Trufree brands. In the USA the subsidiary Dr. Schär USA, Inc. is born.
- 2011 New production facilitie opens in Zaragoza (Spain).
- 2012 In 2012 Dr. Schar USA Inc. opened a production facility in Swedesboro.
With the acquisition of the comidaMed nutrition institute, Dr. Schär also entered the market for amino acid mixtures for patients with inherited metabolic disorders. With the new MEVALIA Low Protein brand, the company then also launched bread, pasta, flour, salt and sweet snacks with low protein content on the market. In 2012 Dr. Schär also began operations at a new production facility in Laives, South Tyrol.
- 2013 marked the establishment of Dr. Schär Medical Nutrition with the Ceres-MCT, MEVALIA Low Protein andcomidaMed brands. Dr. Schär also assumed control of Gourmet Italia, a company from Trento specialising in Italian frozen ready meals.
- 2014 marked the opening of the Dr. Schär France distribution centre and the establishment of Dr. Schar Brasil
- 2015 Foundation Dr. Schär Austria